And we, as leaders, have a responsibility, to help create the conditions necessary for people to build meaning into their lives at work, at home, and in the community. The following is the fifth of six actionable strategies adapted from Turning Adversity into Opportunity that can help you do that—to navigate through the challenge and adversity of our times.
Strategy #5: Engage Others. There are others who are being affected by this transition. Collaboration and trust is essential to get through change and adversity. And, we feel a lot healthier in trying times when we get support from others.
- Who else is being impacted?
- How can we engage with them?
- How can we use this opportunity to fortify our relationships with others and build partnerships?
- How can I connect people with one another on the project?
- How can I let others make choices?
- Whom can we turn to for caring support and wise counsel?
- How can we strengthen the sense that we are in this together?
- Who has done something that has helped to make a difference, and how can we tell their story?
Copyright © 2014. Based on James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner, Turning Adversity Into Opportunity. San Francisco: The Leadership Challenge, A Wiley Brand. (2014)