Help leaders broaden their personal horizon, provide a stronger base from which to think of a vision for their teams, their organizations, and their communities.
This is a self-conducted exercise. Print out a copy of the worksheet for each participant to complete in a workshop, during a one-on-one coaching session, or as a takeaway from either. A short debrief conversation can follow the completion of the worksheet in live sessions.
"Leadership is a personal endeavor. The number one thing we look for in a leader is credibility — that quality of being authentic, of having belief, word, and action in alignment."
A useful component of envisioning the future of your organization is to think hard about where you are going. An honest exploration of your personal vision will give credibility to any vision in which you wish to involve others.
- If you could lead anything, what would it be?
- Where do you see yourself in five years? What will you be doing, and with whom?
- What is your ideal personal future?
- Picture the party to celebrate your retirement after a long and distinguished career. Who will be there? What will people be saying about you?
- What legacy would you like to leave to your company, your family, and your community?
Adapted from The Leadership Challenge Vision Book by Jim Kouzes, Barry Posner, and Dan Schwab.