For example, in her talk Professor Hill describes Ed Catmull, founder and CEO of Pixar, and demonstrates how he leads innovation. He is clearly following The Five Practices when he:
- Is clear about his leadership philosophy (Model The Way)
- Creates a broad and long-term vision; for example, “An organization at the frontier” in the case of Pixar (Inspire a Shared Vision)
- Lets people experiment and learn from mistakes (Challenge the Process)
- Enables everyone to share what they can (Enables Others to Act)
- Recognizes people for their contribution to the team's success, including babies born in the process of making a Pixar film (Encourage the Heart).
Adapted from an original post, The Five Practices of Leading Innovation, published at Stone Ridge Consulting | Leadership
Kelly Ann McKnight, a Certified Master of The Leadership Challenge, is a personnel development professional who focuses on bringing innovative training and coaching tools in leadership development, management development, behavioral profiling, and team building to her clients. She can be reached at www.stoneridgeconsulting.ca