It’s the New Year and a perfect time to consider what it means to be a truly great leader. So, we asked our own Jim Kouzes: What is one of the greatest gifts a leader can give to his or her constituents? And Jim gave us his best five
- Because values drive commitment, the first thing a leader can give is a clear statement of the principles that guide our decisions and actions.
- Communicate a compelling vision of the future, a picture of where we’ll be in 3 to 5 years from now.
- Challenge is the crucible of greatness, so the third gift a leader can give is the freedom to search for opportunities to innovate and improve.
- You can’t do it alone. Therefore, the fourth gift is trust. You can never take trust for granted. You have to work at it every day.
- And finally, gratitude—the single best predictor of well-being—is the fifth gift a leader can give: the expression of gratitude for the contributions of others.